Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pastrugula!

I like a good sandwich. When the right combination of ingredients are put together between slices of the appropriate type of bread with just the right accent of condiment use the results can be magnificent. There are many sandwiches that grace my short list of favorites such as the tempeh sandwich from the New Day Bakery in Eugene, a turkey and provolone sub from Mike's in Belmar, the soy burger sandwich at Dojos, the pork roll egg and cheese at the General Store, turkey salad on rye at Pat's Diner, a falafel from Mamoon's, and a cheese steak hoagie from Two Brother's in Trenton to name but a few.

On a recent trip to the suburbs of Detroit, I stumbled upon a new addition that has been vaulted up into being on the podium with the others. Despite being from New Jersey I'm not typically one to go out of my way for pastrami. Sure I like a Rachel as much as the next guy, but actually end up preferring turkey or tempeh in my variation of a Reuben. So, I was a little shocked when at the Royal Oak Brewery I ordered a sandwich that had pastrami as the major ingredient. In this case, the name of the sandwich was the bate that lured me in. Pastrugula. I don't ever think I've seen a portion of the word arugula used in a sandwich name and would never have thought that a brew pub off the Left Coast would even attempt to try to market something on the basis of it containing arugula. But it was enough to cause me not to be able to even think about ordering anything else off the menu. And that was even before I realized that it was accented by horseradish aioli.

I was a bit concerned that this would be all name and disappoint upon delivery. Let's face it, pastrami, arugula, and horseradish are all bold flavors and I was curious as to whether or not they would be able to work together for a common goal or let their ego's get the best of them and fall apart like the 2003-04 Lakers. The first bite into that crusty ciabatta dissolved my fears as my taste buds were transported to a yummy nirvana providing a combined taste that I have never experienced before and can't for the life of me think of the words to adequately describe. Lets just say that it works and you should try it.

I have been thinking about that sandwich for the two months since that visit to Detroit and was disappointed in my google search to find no other listings for a Pastrugula anywhere else. I did find a pastrami and arugula sandwich listed on the menu at the Gramercy Tavern in Manhattan and may have to swing by the next time I venture south to the city despite the fact that they were unable to come up with a unique name for the sandwich. This past Friday the memory of the Pastrugula was so strong that I decided to try to make it my self. Even though the only pastrami I could get at Whole Paycheck here in Portland was turkey based and that it in a state of laziness I decided to forgo making my own aioli and just mix together horseradish and mayo, the sandwich still managed to taste at least in the same ball park as the original. Next time I'm visiting my parents on Long Island I'll have to procure some proper pastrami and give it another go. Either that or I'll have to figure out some reason to wind up back in Detroit.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to help you come up with more reasons to visit Detroit! Next time we'll include a visit to Lafayette Coney Island downtown and Polonia in Hamtramck ....

    ReplyDelete