Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Gift All Around

Giving a gift because it is time to give a gift (ie Christmas, birthdays, Valentines Day (which is a whole nother subject not to get me started on!)etc) has never been my favorite activity. Don't get me wrong, I love to give gifts, but I love to give them because the perfect one has emerged, not because I have to go find the something to give someone because I am supposed to. My general tactic is just to not give birthday gifts and to start planning months in advance as to what the perfect thing to make for folks for Christmas is.

All this to say, this last December I was at a loss as to what Peter and I should get my sister. Luckily for us, she emailed with the perfect gift idea: Peter and I could cook a dinner for her and her housemates. We immediately loved the idea not only because we knew she would be happy with it, but because it would be as fun for us to give as for her to get.

This weekend she "cashed in" on the gift...and what a treat it was! The co-op that Stef lives in, and community that she surrounds herself with are both full of really wonderful, dynamic people who appreciate good food and conversation and live in conscience community with each other.

We arrived at Stef's co-op, with groceries overflowing the trunk, early afternoon on Saturday and spent the afternoon cutting and cooking and interacting with each other and the various housemates that wandered in to see the disaster we'd created in their kitchen. At 7:15 the appetizer course was set and drinks were served. By 10 we'd finished off all 4 courses but most of us stayed up until way past 2 am engaged in lively conversation. Below is the menu:

Appetizers: Cheese & Mushroom Puffs, Various Dips and dippables (orange humus, carrot dip and spinach artichoke dip with veggies and chips), Asparagus & Gruyere Roll Ups, Assorted Nuts & Olives

Salad: Encrusted Goat Cheese Medallion with Beet Rosti served over Arugula

Main Dish: Winter Squash Lasagne served with Balsamic Kale, Crusty Bread & Sage oil

Dessert: (Vegan) Chocolate Mousse with Marinated Raspberries and Citrus

It was fun to plan for, a joy to create and a real treat to share with Stefanie and her wonderful community of friends...a Christmas gift I look forward to giving again.

No comments:

Post a Comment