Saturday, January 16, 2010

My Brain on Food

Sometimes I am embarrassed about how much time food takes up in my daily life, but mostly I relish it. I think about it, I make a lot of it, I think about food some more. Thankfully this life style hasn't lead me to be an oomph loompah...and in fact I think it has helped me to stay fairly healthy. I don't just grab something frozen from the freezer for lunch...I've been thinking about what I am going to take for lunch today since at least last night at dinner, if not long before that. As soon as I finish one meal, at least a small portion of my brain turns its attention to what will be next - if it is something that will take prep time, all the better! And forget about Sunday brunch, that I have been thinking about since at least a week before. Eggs will definitely feature prominently, but what will accompany them?

I wonder if others have the same fascination? I know Peter does - that is why we get along so well! And I know our dog does, as evidenced by the fairly constant drool he exhibits when any where near something edible. But I wonder about other people. I think most folks dread Mondays because it means the beginning of the work week, figuring out what to wear and the return to productivity. I dread Mondays because I don't know if I have sufficiently planned out the meals I want to eat for the week.

When it comes down to it, I think the time and energy my brain devotes to food is well worth it. It keeps me busy, it allows my brain to focus on something I have some measure of control and, most importantly it makes me happy.

~ Alex

2 comments:

  1. As I sit here speaking to Mavis on the phone and enjoying reading your first update (and more importantly hearing about the "tip" Mavis got for her good work today- think some sort of bottle) I am led to feel more comfortable with my love for food. I knew there was something that brought us together years ago (well, food and our love of tacky items of clothing from places such as Weirs Beach). I too think of food often. At times I wonder if it is an obsession and the sole reason why when not working, I can be found in the gym- dealing with the after-affects of my love of food. I some day hope to be as impressive in the kitchen as the Twindles, and hope to continue to benefit from your devotion and all-encompassing knowledge of everything culinary and edible. Much love, Prudden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes and yes...mmm chocolate pudding....wait what was I saying?

    ReplyDelete